My Birth Philosophy
I believe that a woman’s body was designed specifically to grow & birth healthy babies.
I believe that an unmedicated vaginal birth is the healthiest and safest for all but a very few.
I believe that the child’s needs almost never contradict the mother’s. What is healthiest and safest for mom is healthiest and safest for baby too, with very rare exceptions.
I believe that women can and should be trusted to choose where, how, and with whom to give birth.
I believe that mothers and their care providers have a joint responsibility in prenatal care, labor, birth, and postpartum care. Her care provider has a responsibility to give accurate, evidence-based information and advice. Mothers have a responsibility to make the necessary choices for themselves and their babies.
I believe that evidence-based information and education, customized to each woman’s need, often eradicates most of the fear associated with the labor and birth process.
Most of all, I believe that women should be trusted to make the best decision for their situation, and should expect to be fully supported by her caregivers. After all, it is she who will carry the burden of any risks incurred during her care. Who better to choose what is right for her and her baby?
Why I Do This Work:
In short, I do this work because I am compelled. I can’t not do it.
I do this work because I believe women deserve options outside of the mainstream system, and I want to be one of those options. Whether it is through my childbirth classes, childbirth educator trainings, or my future practice as a homebirth midwife.
I do this work to help women grow healthy babies, have healthy births, and experience a healthy and joyful beginning to their parenthood journey–all in their own power and strength. I want to be a helper and servant to each one’s process.
I do this work to speak Truth over the myths and fears and untruths that are so prevalent in our culture. I am determined to see those myths die in my lifetime.
I do this work because I believe in Freedom, and the responsibility that it brings. When we place birth back in the hands of those who are doing the work, it is remarkable the changes that come about, all for the better.
I do this work because I love women and their families, and because I believe that each birth belongs to all of us. Your joyful beginning may impact countless others.
Training & Education:
- 10/2007—CAPPA Labor Doula Training; Denver, CO. Trainer: Ana M. Hill, CLD, CLE, CCCE
- 11/2008 & 5/2011—CAPPA Childbirth Educator Training; Colorado Springs, CO. Trainer: Desirre Andrews, CLD, CLE, CCCE.
- 11/2009—Counselor Training at the Colorado Springs Pregnancy Center.
- 6/2011—CAPPA Conference (10.5 CEU’s earned).
- 6/2012—CAPPA Conference (10.5 CEU’s earned).
- 10/2013–Neonatal Resuscitation Program online exam and practicum.
- 1/2014–Integrated Resuscitation of the Newborn; Karen Strange
- 7/2014–CAPPA Conference (11.5 CEU’s earned)
- 11/2015 – MANA Conference in New Mexico
- CAPPA Certified Labor Doula (CLD: 2009-2015).
- CAPPA Childbirth Educator (CCCE).
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program Certified (NRP)
- Basic Life Support (Adult/Infant/Child CPR).
Experience in Birth:
- 2003-2007 – Births of my own four children.
- Private practice labor doula since 10/2007.
- Independent childbirth educator since 4/2010
- 2/2009-5/2009: Back-up assistant to Merrie Macdowell, RM.
- 1/2013-Present: Midwife assistant to Desirre Andrews, CPM, RM
- Experience with: natural hospital births, epidurals, induction, cesarean section, VBAC, (including VBA2C), home birth (planned & unplanned), single mothers, all hospitals in the Colorado Springs area, and military families.
Memberships in the Childbirth Field:
- 10/2007 – Present: CAPPA (Childbirth and Postpartum Professional Association)
- 12/2009 – 8/2013: PPRDA (Pikes Peak Regional Doula Association)
- 9/2010 – 9/2012: PPRDA Treasurer
- 12/2009 – Present: BirthNetwork, Colorado Springs Chapter
- 9/2011—Present: Educator & Doula with Preparing for Birth, Colorado Springs
- 2008 – 2010: Volunteer doula with Operation Special Delivery
- 9/2010 – 7/2012: Volunteer childbirth educator at the Colorado Springs Pregnancy Center
- 1/2013 – Present: Midwife assistant to Desirre Andrews, CPM, RM